Quality wood furniture is a significant investment expected to last for generations. To maintain its beauty and help it last, wood furniture needs the right care. Hooker Furniture products are finished with two to three coats of lacquer for extra depth and long-lasting durability. The sheen, or gloss, of the finish ranges from high to low, depending on the piece or collection. The finish protects the wood and adds to its beauty. No finish is totally indestructible. But with regular care, the finish will last much longer, providing years of enjoyment to you.
TO PROTECT AND CARE FOR YOUR FURNITURE, WE SUGGEST THE FOLLOWING:
- Avoid placing your furniture in direct sunlight, as sunlight causes fading.
- Avoid extreme changes in temperature by arranging furniture away from radiators, heat and air vents and air conditioning units.
- Avoid placing plastic or rubber materials (lamp bases, notebooks, placemats, etc.) on your furniture, as certain plastics contain ingredients that may damage the finish.
- Periodically rotate accessories on furniture so they do not sit in the same spot all the time.
- Use pads, cloth or felt to protect the furniture surface from plastic, rubber, hot dishes, beverages, bookends, flowerpots and vases.
- Clean up spills immediately. Use a blotting rather than a wiping action. Water left over a long period of time will cause white spots in the finish. Alcohol, perfume, after-shave and medications can cause severe finish damage.
- Use a protective pad when writing with a ballpoint pen on the furniture surface.
- Lift and place objects rather than dragging them across the furniture surface.
- Avoid placing furniture directly under windows.
CLEANING AND POLISHING YOUR FURNITURE
We recommend dusting frequently with a clean, soft, dry, lint-free cloth. Clean the surface by rubbing in the direction of the grain. We recommend polishing your furniture approximately every six months, using a clean, soft, lint-free cloth and rubbing the polish in the direction of the grain.
Some of our products feature a high-gloss finish. These items require extra care to prevent dust and smudges from being overly apparent. Be especially careful to avoid scratching high gloss finishes by using a feather duster or very soft, clean cloths and wiping with minimal pressure.